Pasta From Scratch in 8 Simple Steps
When we're not busy in the kitchen melting chicle and hand crafting natural chewing gum, we love making fresh pasta. There's nothing like it, and even though it may sound daunting, it's really not that difficult! Once you get the hang of it, you can also start adding fun ingredients like herbs and spices to change the flavor and color. We like to serve the pasta with fresh basil and mint pesto, or you can even make an Asian noodle dish with ingredients like miso, sesame, and ginger. It's important for us to always cook with real, healthy ingredients that are all natural and synthetic-free, so let's get started!
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (or 00 flour if available)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Warm water as needed
- Create a well with the flour, and add the eggs + olive oil + salt into the center
- Use a fork to beat the eggs and slowly incorporate the flour into the center
- Once most of the flour is incorporated, use your hands to knead the dough for 10 min (if the dough is dry, incorporate a few drops of warm water).
- Roll the dough into a smooth ball, wrap in plastic, and let sit for 1 hr at room temperature. The dough should be moist but not sticky.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and lightly flour. Once you begin rolling out the dough, keep the extra pieces covered so they don't dry out.
- Use a pasta roller (starting at the widest setting) and crank the dough through the roller until you get to the second thinnest setting
- If your pasta roller has a cutting attachment, crank the rolled dough through the attachment to make linguine or spaghetti. You can also hand cut the pasta to make papparadelle noodles or any pasta of your choice.
- Boil in salted water for one minute to cook and enjoy with a sauce of your choice!